Skip to main content

My perspective of women in CS

For almost all of my professional life I have been very passionate about this topic. I am on the Anita Borg Institute mailing list. I read various posts addressing this where they talk about why girls need more encouragement to get involved in CS from an early age and how gender stereotyping in schools is hurting their chances. Programs like http://www.girlstart.org/ conduct camps and special events to encourage girls in STEM subjects, that I enthusiastically support. I got extremely worked up over this post (http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/28/women-in-tech-stop-blaming-me/). Two years later it still makes me angry.

There's no disputing the fact is that there are relatively very few women in this field, both entrepreneurs and working in the industry. There's also no disputing a facts like the last ten years of ACM programming champion teams are all men. Sure, there are stellar examples like Marissa Mayer, but what about all these women here who want to break into this industry and feel overwhelmed by the male majority? Are they all being oppressed somehow? If given the right opportunity and encouragement can they change these numbers?

Recently, 30 seconds on a Google Hangout session gave me a new perspective. It was during office hours set by professors of a Game Theory online course that I took via Coursera. They hosted a hangout where students of the course from all over the world could log in and ask them questions. About half way in, this woman from Iran came on the screen. She was wearing her Niqab (head scarf), it had some netting in the front from which she could be heard. Nothing particularly interesting happened, she just introduced herself as a master's student wanting to come to America for her graduate degree and asked her question and the hangout moved on..But seeing her like that changed something within me. I started thinking that maybe women in western countries complain about gender equality issues too easily.  We grew up in privileged households, got the opportunity to study wherever we wanted and chose a career that we liked. Not that this particular woman wasn't like that too, she probably wears the scarf for religious reasons and not because she was forced to. But I started thinking about gender inequality that affect women's chances of even getting a decent education. They might want to study but their family forces them to marry young and stay at home, This still happens in India, Pakistan and other middle eastern countries. They might not even get to finish high school. Maybe they have internet access and they see this free course and decide to take it. Maybe they study in secret anyway. These are real challenges that they face and me saying that 'I find it challenging to be a working mom in a male dominated industry' seems very petty. Rather than complaining or being offended when someone is being sexist, I want to think of such women. They should inspire us to try harder and push ourselves towards where we want to go. Whatever we are struggling about, we should dedicate our efforts to these women. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are your future plans? Why are you *still* a developer?

If I had a nickel for every time someone has asked me that question I'd have enough change for a year? Inspired by my friend's post here , I thought I'd write about how I ended up doing what I do now. Then I thought about it some more and decided to write about something else. Is it important to know where you are going in life? If you aren't moving forward in your career does it mean that you are doing something wrong? What does "moving up the ladder" even mean? I am going to attempt to answer these questions for myself. Its almost 5 years since I began my professional career. It has been great so far, lots of ups some downs as well. However, once in a while when I get the title question it still throws me off. It is usually my parents or well meaning relatives, sometimes friends that ask this. I have nothing much to say to them except "I enjoy what I am doing right now, haven't really thought about the future". But the truth is - I have thou

Craigslist, wrong calls and me

I have the worst luck when it comes to getting wrong calls on my phone. Why do I say that? It started a few weeks ago with a phone call - "I'm calling to ask about the Nissan altima you have on sale". I replied saying wrong number yada yada etc. After the third call like this, I finally asked them where they found the ad and it turned out to be Craigslist. One google search later I found the ad listing my number, probably a typo. Contacted them via Cragislist and asked them to correct it. End of story, right? Two days later, I got ANOTHER call, here is how it went. Caller: Maam, Im calling about the toyota four runner for sale Me: You mean the Altima, that was a mistake in the ad. I am not the seller and it has been corrected in the ad online. Caller: Is your number 602-*******? That's what's on there.. Me:ARGGH Another google search, and I find a DIFFERENT Craigslist ad in another city, listing my number. What are the chances of this happening to the same perso

Don't teach programming by asking students to program - What?

Saw this article in one of the ACM blogs that cited a recent study in an educational psychology journal on how teaching introductory Cs students to program by having them write code actually has a detrimental effect. More details here . I absolutely disagree with the author that this study has implications in CS! First of all it cites a study done with teaching algebra so it is a different domain. I think that the problem is that there is too little programming going on rather than too much. I also wonder of anyone has considered that an introductory programming class probably has a mix of two very different types of students - one just exploring CS as one of many career options, the other the kind that took their dad's computer apart in the garage and started programming at age 8. The latter kind still have to take the introductory class because of degree requirements but now it gives you a class sample that's skewed and hard to make any conclusions about. If everyone that to