Skip to main content

Summer memories

We have an internal social networking tool at work. A parent started a thread asking about camps and other summer activities for kids. One of my co-workers said something like below (as a joke):

"Put them in the backyard in the morning. Lock the door. Put out sandwiches at noon. Hose them down in the evening with your garden hose"..

That turned into people mentioning free range kids. Of course, in America there's some sophisticated sounding terminology for everything, but I would have called this "a typical childhood in India".

This got me reminiscing about my childhood summer vacations growing up in Hosur, in the 80s. The "hose them down with the garden hose" part wasn't too far from some part of my summer experience between the age of  7 to 12.

Summer vacation started around mid April. My grandparents lived with us, and me and my sister couldn't wait for summer to start each year. The youngest of our cousins R lived in town. My other cousins A1, A2, V, and B would travel by an overnight bus to Hosur from Madras. They usually came accompanied by their parents, who left after a couple of days leaving them to spend about a month at our house in Hosur. We had no educational activities, sports classes or any sort of schedule for those two months of summer.

My memories of summer activities from those years:

  • Hide and seek around the neighborhood. 
  • Go exploring around some hills near where we lived that were covered with weedy grasses. There were probably snakes all around but ignorance is bliss so we made it out okay.
  • We didn't have bicycles until we were much older, so we would hire a rickety old bike for 1Rupee an hour in the evenings to ride them around the neighborhood. 
  • Watch movies on a VCR. We pretty much didn't pay attention to a film rating system if there was any, so most movies were grossly violent and age inappropriate. In the earlier days it was mostly Tamil or Hindi movies, until the early 90s when we could get access to Hollywood movies. (I didn't realize this at the time because I was a kid, but you could say that without Narasimha Rao's liberalization policies initiated around that time, I would have grown up not knowing TV shows like Wonder Years, and not realizing that MTV was a thing). 
  • Barbecue - We grew up vegetarian. Our version of a "summer barbecue" was gathering a bunch of old newspapers, setting fire to it, and throwing some potatoes set between two stones in the middle of the fire. Eventually the fire would die out, and sometimes the potatoes were cooked, sometimes not. Either way, we would eat them with salt and chilli powder.  I can't believe now that we did this without any adult supervision. Our grandparents would yell out "be careful, don't set the trees on fire", but other that that we were on our own. 
  • The first time we all saw a Madonna music video, we were so fascinated and hooked. We watched a tape of her music videos over and over again.
  • When MTV was accessible in India over cable TV, R was still only around 7. Whenever a Britney Spears song would come on, one of us would cover his eyes very punctiliously. We missed it one time, and "Baby one more time" was on. He asked us if Britney Spears was very poor, because her skirt for school was cut in half. Yeah, we didn't know what a miniskirt was. 
  • A1 was very passionate about dancing, and would make up routines for us. I hated it, and felt very self conscious because  I had no natural inclination for dancing. Still, we put together a routine for my aunt who also lived with us, to celebrate her birthday. 
  • A2 would translate English and Hindi songs into Tamil, with hilarious results. He would still sing them loudly around the house. 
  • Water problems - We regularly lost running water in the summer in the house. In the late afternoon, a water lorry would come by. Some of us would go out dressed in under-clothes, with a bar soap and have the guy in the lorry hose us with water. We would take a shower right there in the street and get hosed back to wash off the soap, 
So yeah, I've actually been a free range kid and had all sorts of summer fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are your future plans? Why are you *still* a developer?

If I had a nickel for every time someone has asked me that question I'd have enough change for a year? Inspired by my friend's post here , I thought I'd write about how I ended up doing what I do now. Then I thought about it some more and decided to write about something else. Is it important to know where you are going in life? If you aren't moving forward in your career does it mean that you are doing something wrong? What does "moving up the ladder" even mean? I am going to attempt to answer these questions for myself. Its almost 5 years since I began my professional career. It has been great so far, lots of ups some downs as well. However, once in a while when I get the title question it still throws me off. It is usually my parents or well meaning relatives, sometimes friends that ask this. I have nothing much to say to them except "I enjoy what I am doing right now, haven't really thought about the future". But the truth is - I have thou

Craigslist, wrong calls and me

I have the worst luck when it comes to getting wrong calls on my phone. Why do I say that? It started a few weeks ago with a phone call - "I'm calling to ask about the Nissan altima you have on sale". I replied saying wrong number yada yada etc. After the third call like this, I finally asked them where they found the ad and it turned out to be Craigslist. One google search later I found the ad listing my number, probably a typo. Contacted them via Cragislist and asked them to correct it. End of story, right? Two days later, I got ANOTHER call, here is how it went. Caller: Maam, Im calling about the toyota four runner for sale Me: You mean the Altima, that was a mistake in the ad. I am not the seller and it has been corrected in the ad online. Caller: Is your number 602-*******? That's what's on there.. Me:ARGGH Another google search, and I find a DIFFERENT Craigslist ad in another city, listing my number. What are the chances of this happening to the same perso

Don't teach programming by asking students to program - What?

Saw this article in one of the ACM blogs that cited a recent study in an educational psychology journal on how teaching introductory Cs students to program by having them write code actually has a detrimental effect. More details here . I absolutely disagree with the author that this study has implications in CS! First of all it cites a study done with teaching algebra so it is a different domain. I think that the problem is that there is too little programming going on rather than too much. I also wonder of anyone has considered that an introductory programming class probably has a mix of two very different types of students - one just exploring CS as one of many career options, the other the kind that took their dad's computer apart in the garage and started programming at age 8. The latter kind still have to take the introductory class because of degree requirements but now it gives you a class sample that's skewed and hard to make any conclusions about. If everyone that to